Sunday, January 29, 2006

National Guard and the IRS

Saturday was quite a day of contrast. First the awards ceremony for my husband's retirement and then a letter from the IRS. Pride, fear, exasperation.

The awards ceremony first acknowledged a National Guardsman who just returned from Iraq and his father who received a purple heart for his service in Korea. Their speeches brought tears to their eyes and to the eyes of that group of soldiers listening.

As my husband was called forward, my daughter and I walked proudly with him. My daughter was embarrassed by the Hooahs and pictures. Written commendations were read, medals awarded, plaques presented and then the three foot ceremonial saber.

Where am I going to display a saber?

Contrast the informal battle fatigues worn during the day and the formal dress uniform worn last night at the banquet.

Different faces, sizes, colors, sexes, ages. Yet all have the same pride in their uniform - in their service to their country and in their service to their fellow man.

Contrast the tremendous pride I felt in watching these men and women and the momentary clutch of fear when I opened the mail and found a notice from the IRS that my return is being audited.

Now I am very careful with my income tax return and list only what is legal and true. Why then that moment of fear - Because it is the IRS.

IRS - Gestapo - taking everything you own - guilty until proven innocent.

Oh well, another experience to write about.

I was audited about 13 years ago. It was by mail and I just had to copy and send some receipts - no problem and no error on my part.

Perhaps it is because all the audits I have been part of at places I have worked - there was always an obnoxious man who clearly stated that he knew we were stealing and would catch us.

We had an auditor oh 30 years ago at a Sears store I was working at. He was so bad that the manager complained to the head office and that auditor was removed. But not before he had to make an apology in front of all employees to those of us he had been so cruel and threatening to. That store had many problems, but embezzlement was not one of them.

Well, I shall think positive and call the IRS and make my appointment. Then I will crawl up in the attic and find the box with that year's tax information. My daughter will have to take off work when I go for my appointment. They will find my return fully supported by receipts and life will go on.

Seems like once they audit you and find that you are honest, they should just let you be.

Sunday things to do, so until next time - smile
Sharon


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home