Sunday, August 21, 2005

Handling criticism

Handling criticism is probably one of the most stressful things that I have to deal with.

Yesterday I received a very nasty email from one of my former subscribers to my newsletter. They unsubscribed but they wanted to let me know why. Now that I appreciate. Most people just leave and don't say why.

I published a marketing article not for the marketing (which I thought I made clear) but for the message that life is a one time shot and that waiting for the perfect moment to do something is wasting your life.

The subscriber obviously did not like the author of the article and had some scathing remarks about him and therefore included me specifically because I would publish something from this man. He questioned my morals and my honesty.

I believe the word used was evil.

Now I have been told that my sense of humor was too off the wall, and I been accused of being boring, and I have been told I had too much small town mentality but I have never been accused of being evil.

I know as a publisher I should have a hard shell that bounces the criticism off but I was almost in tears.

Dear former subscriber - I do not know what kind of pain you have in your life that would compel you to write such a hateful letter. I truly hope you can resolve your pain and find joy in your life.

I lost several subscribers this week. They did not say why but I am betting that I will not publish anymore marketing related articles no matter what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home