Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Facelift - Real or Quack?

The search is never ending for a way to stop wrinkles. The time when wrinkles were a sure sign of wisdom due to age is past. We as a society in general have little use for the older generation. What is worse, we believe all the media hype and 13 year old models (that are supposed to be in their 20's) and feel something is wrong with us or our mates because we have begun to show our age.

Everyone I know, and I certainly don't begin to claim I know everyone, claims to believe that appearance is not the criteria on which they judge a person - yet they all would love to look younger and thinner and trimmer and richer and on and on. I almost had a fit when my 17 year old complained that her hands were beginning to look old.

With that in mind, my contribution today is 3 links to further your education.


ALBANY, N.Y. — Paula Scardamalia has pins in her face -— nine tiny ones angling out near her eyes, mouth and jaw.

The pins were poked in to tighten chin skin and erase lines on the 52-year-old woman'’s face. The practice, called facial acupuncture, is becoming popular as a sort of holistic alternative to trying to turn back time through toxins or surgery.

For the rest of this article go to Does acupuncture work?

And from the government comes this -

According to the NIH Consensus Statement on Acupuncture, there have been many studies on acupuncture's potential usefulness, but results have been mixed because of complexities with study design and size, as well as difficulties with choosing and using placebos or sham acupuncture. However, promising results have emerged, showing efficacy of acupuncture, for example, in adult postoperative and chemotherapy nausea and vomiting and in postoperative dental pain. There are other situations--such as addiction, stroke rehabilitation, headache, menstrual cramps, tennis elbow, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, osteoarthritis, low-back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and asthma--in which acupuncture may be useful as an adjunct treatment or an acceptable alternative or be included in a comprehensive management program.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/#work

Want to see what another opinion on natural cures and snake oil offerings that are out to take your money. http://www.quackwatch.org/

I believe in being healthy using what nature provides. I believe in the natural aging cycle which is part of the whole plan. I believe that no one can live forever and why would you want to. The important thing is to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. There is no silver bullet.

I told my doctor about some of the herbs I was taking and why. He told me they did not work. I told him he had just told me I was healthy as could be. He said - well anything will work if you believe in it. Let us think about that statement.

Until next time - smile

Sharono

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home