Thursday, April 14, 2005

Dreams and Reality

If you would settle on what your priorities are it would make a big difference in your life.

Consider all that you do and all that you feel you need to do and don’t and all that you want to do and don’t. I’m willing to bet that those 3 lists would be different.

How much of the driving force in what you do is from the opinions and desires of other?

How often do you hear your great-great grandmother’s voice coming down thru the generations telling you right and wrong?

You must remember that this voice is distorted by the filters of your great grandmother, your grandmother and your mother who each in her own way rebelled against the rules of her mother.

You may have seen the question – If you knew that you could not fail what would you do? What would you stop putting off?

What if I said you would have a few setbacks and unexpected delays but you would still succeed? Would you still start?

What if I said there would be distractions to tempt you to other paths? What if I said you would have to make a few sacrifices? What if I said you would enjoy 90% of your days but you would cry for 10%?

It is all true you know. This promise was made to you before you were born. You simply forgot the promise as you learned the language of human beings and forgot the language of God. You forgot how to listen with your mind instead of your ears.

Mom and Dad and siblings and friends and teachers and all the other well-meaning people in your life told you – No, Don’t, Can’t, You will get hurt, You will fall. They told you - you could not be good at everything and so denied you the right to try.

When you dream, (day dream, sleep dream or nightmare) do you dream in words or images? You use words to try to describe your dreams and realize the words fall short. Your dream images are so full of emotions.

Very small children dream even before they have language skills. Images have no language barrier. A tree is a tree in any language.

Perhaps dreams are the language of God. Dreams can make every day confusion become clear. Dreams can warn or guide.

Day dreaming shows the heart’s desires. We picture the house that would be perfect or the vacation that would be a dream come true. We day dream about a world that has no unpaid bills or unfulfilling jobs. We dream of perfect health without effort and a magic pill that would cure any illness.

I believe that when you were born, you knew the purpose of your life and all the wonderful things you would do. All from images God had put in your subconscious. I think that is why you dream in images -- because that is your native language.

It doesn’t matter where you are in your life. You can start to bring some of those dreams into “reality”. I am not advocating that you jump ship and run away from all your obligations. I am saying you can work your dreams into your life if that is what you really want – it is all priorities.

When I was a little girl I wanted a piano. Our family could not afford such an extravagance. I was angry because my older brother always got the instrument he wanted (trumpet, accordion, guitar). I had no concept of money. To make matters worse, my mother told me my brother had natural talent and I had none.

I determined that when I was older I would get my own piano. Many years passed and I “forgot” that desire. Then thru a series of circumstances I received a piano – not new, not in tune, and certainly not pretty. I could not afford piano lessons and certainly did not have any natural talent. Still every day on my lunch hour I practiced. I bought books on teaching yourself piano.

My proudest day was when I played the “Moonlight Sonata”. I was pregnant when I was learning this piece. Years later my daughter sat down at the piano and played several measures of the “Moonlight Sonata” and thought she was writing a song she had made up. All those months of hearing me play while she was in the womb had given her a memory.

I still have that piano and it is once again not in tune. It is even more beat up now after years of children and moves to new homes. Both of my daughters play (not well) and I expect that my grand daughters will also learn. Those that choose to practice will play well.

I still look at that piano and remember the beautiful warm woman who gave it to me. She gave me the first step in fulfilling a dream. I had to decide if it was still a priority and how I would find the time to learn. I had to give up lunch in order to practice. Sometimes I cried from the frustration of trying to remember each note and chord. (I used the button method - 10 buttons in a bowl. Each time you play it right, you take out one button. Make a mistake and all the buttons go back in the bowl.)

I don’t play much these days. Having 2 small children that bang on the end of the piano keyboard makes it a bit difficult. When they are a little older I will teach them. In the mean time – I can still see the image of the music and how my fingers sit on the keys – it is all in my mind.

Until next time - keep the dreams alive.

Sharono

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home