Monday, July 09, 2007

Food Sensitivities

Last night I had a strange happening. When I got home from work, I had a banana and a glass of orange juice. About an hour later, I started to itch. No hives, but just an itching sensation all over my body. It felt like like tiny bugs crawling all over me. I could not find any Benadryl in the house so just suffered.

I have never had any reaction to a banana or to a glass of juice before this. It was the combination which I had never before eaten.

That is the hard part about finding out about food sensitivities. There may be specific foods that always bother you. For me it is strawberries, every time I eat them I get hives.

It is the foods that normally, as far as you know, do not have any adverse affect on your body.

We could say I have an allergy to strawberries, but a food sensitivity to a combination of banana and orange juice.

For many people, a food sensitivity is the culprit behind that stuffy nose. That is a common reaction for a great many people, especially children. We are so used to saying that children always have a cold in their early years. They get around other children in day care or school or just the grocery store. They have to build an immunity to all those every day germs.

But, what if, that runny nose is just a symptom of a food sensitivity. What is the one thing we all give our children and what is the most common source of allergies and food sensitivities --- milk.

My two granddaughters were so different. One loved milk and drank it at every opportunity. She rarely had a runny nose and if she did, she had the fever to go with it. The other much preferred juice or tea. She would drink milk if given no other option, but she was the one with the perpetual runny nose. Something to try with that one, no milk for a week and see if the drippy nose stops.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home