Friday, September 23, 2005

Addiction

I have had so many people ask me why and how I got "into" herbs and health. So -

35 years ago I was an alcoholic. I lived like that for about 6 years. I kept my job but not my marriage - he was an alcoholic also. I managed to keep life together for my daughter and I.

One day (hangover as usual) I realized I did not want to live that way anymore. I took back control of my own life. It was not easy giving up the bottle. I fought myself every night and didn't always win but gradually the side saying no did overcome.

During this period I started reading about addiction. I discovered that there is a genetic tie. My father was an alcoholic.

Addiction covers all areas not just alcohol and drugs. I know people who are addicted to housework. You can be addicted to chocolate, sodas, cheese, running, reading - anything in life that takes over is an addiction.

We have kinder words for the healthier addictions like "avid reader" but is that person who reads all night long and does a lousy job at work the next day because they didn't sleep really any better than the more well known addicts. Legal but still evading reality.

I discovered herbs. Gradually I discovered what good health feels like and it felt wonderful.

About the same time, I had to have gall bladder surgery. I had been raised on everything fried and no body in my house liked vegetables so we just didn't have them.

Now I began to study healthy eating, vitamins, minerals in conjunction with the herbs. I started working at out a gym. I was a single mom working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Taking that time to work out was not always convenient.

30 years later I am still studying herbs, vitamins, minerals, addictions and the value of exercise. I now use Reiki and EFT as well. I have a different husband and another daughter. We have had the same bottle of bourbon in the house for 10 years.

I find that I must still fight against addictions. Now I deal with drinking too many sodas and spending too many hours in front of a computer. Like all addictions, one must first acknowledge the addiction and then you must have the desire to eliminate it. The next step is replacing that addiction with more acceptable and healthy activities.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

What a beautiful post.
Not everyone has the courage to lay
themselves open like that.

I salute you, in admiration!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home