Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Fire in the Oven

Oh what a strange day. It is cold and rainy. Perfect day to clean the oven. Self cleaning kind, slide the lock push the button. My daughters helped with the cooking on Thanksgiving and there were a few spills.

About a half hour later, I glanced at the oven. Surprise, flames flickering. That was new and not good. I have cleaned this oven many many times and never seen flames. Of course the door would not open. I pushed the button to turn off the cleaning process (heat) and the flames died out in a minute or so. (At the time it seemed very very long for those flames to die out)

Once the oven was cooled I tried to wipe out whatever had been on fire. Just a sticky black mess. Now I am debating if I should start the process again.

One other thing, my house was very smokey and guess what - no alarms went off. I happened to be on the phone with my husband when all this was happening and he admitted he forgot to change the smoke alarm batteries.

My point - besides the hilarity of the whole episode - safety. I had no idea there was such a big spill in the oven. I should have checked and wiped off the mess as much as I could.

Thank goodness the oven door would not open. Can you imagine what would have happened to my lungs if I had managed to open that oven door. Super heated air being inhaled is not conducive to good health. Not to mention that a blast of oxygen would have hit those flames and caused them to burst outward.

So thank you oven manufacturer for a safety latch that works. And thanks for a reminder to change the batteries in the smoke alarms.

I have been thinking about starting up the newsletter again. I went to the blog because it was supposed to be the best way to communicate. However, I have found that my subscription rate is falling and the open rate is falling. Seems most people would prefer to just read an email newsletter rather than click a link and wait for the internet response. I know there are times when I don't read things I get in my email because I need to click a link and I think I will just do it later.

January may just see that newsletter. The blog will still be here, but I think there is a place for the newsletter as well.

until next time -- smile
Sharon



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home